Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Endless lecture

My life is one endless lecture. In college, my life was firmly divided (in order of precidence) into napping, classes, running, doing house related things. Now, my life has turned into lectures, lectures, lectures, drinking to relieve stress from lectures, sleeping, thinking about lectures while sleeping. (I spend more time at school in lecture and studying than I do simply being in my apartment. I'm paying for space that I'm not using.) It seems like almost every lecturer loves to bloviate, simply to hear their own voice. Stories that go on for 20 minutes at a time with a seemingly absent punch line. I feel like I should at least give a courtesy smile at the supposed punch line. Although, I can't bring myself to even care about what is being said anymore. Most of this occurs in Patholgy with Dr. Flynn Medicine Woman. The woman has a never-ending string of mu-mus or house dresses. Apparently she doesn't have a problem with looking like an amorphous mass of tissue. She is one of those lecturers that loves gory pictures. She has spent too much time away from seeing patients at the bed side. She has a total lack of what anyone might venture to call a personality.

Being in Pathology for two hours at a time is like looking at the entire museum of Ripley's Believe It or Not for a solid two hours with a tour guide that has every fact about every exhibit and is reading it from the same brochure that you have in your hands, pictures included. I swear this woman loves her pictures. She gets a weird smile on her face every time she talks about some abnormal disease or condition. Strange. The medical field runs the entire gamut of personalities. Probably much like every other professional and non-professional field.

She's talking about her fucking cats again. She is obviously not married.

More from the hell of medical school later...

In the mean time, the good parts of medical school:
It allows me time to catch up on blogging while not paying attention in lecture.
It gives you a new appreciation for the human body and what it can do.
It provides you with a knowledge that what goes on on ER is sometimes wrong.
I know these things are mundane and superfluous but they make me smile in the face of paying $44,000 a year for school.

It does afford me time to spend an inordinate amount of time sitting on my ass. Thank god for a fast metabolism. Otherwise, I might be 400lbs. Oh, I have also acquired a wicked caffiene addiction. I actually gave it up last year for a period of time. Not anymore. Its all coffee and tea now. A person I dated last year was the one to prod me to give up caffiene. Big mistake. I should have known she would turn out to be a wacko. Who tries to make someone give up something that they love? I love caffiene. I have been in school for almost two decades straight. I deserve at least one addiction, and its not yayo or any other illicit substance. Also caffiene has never been shown to have adverse effects on growth, personality, or have any whatsoever cancer initiative properties. Caffiene is the root of American culture. Coffee shops are everywhere, I'm not going to start on the capitalistic nature of Starbucks and their revenue generating potential, but... They have the highest per square footage revenue generating capabiltity of any fast food restaurant (I really hate fast food restaurants) and most businesses. Something like a ridiculous $20,000 per square foot. Anyways, to deny caffiene is to deny the American way of life: I want it now and fast!! Moral of the story: caffiene is good, medical school is bad.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best paper I ever wrote was powered by Red Bull & Vodka.

10/26/2005 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mu-mus and monica-mouth, that's what we pay $44,000 dollars to endure. But just to be fair, we should consider that there might be an adequate explanation for all of the strangeness.
I'm thinking tertiary syphilis - because the third time's the charm.

10/26/2005 8:57 PM  
Blogger runrMD08 said...

I pay $44,000 to listen to the rantings and ravings of a person who hasn't seen a patient's face since 1950. She only sees .0000001% of the patient through a microscope. Please, let her be the communication competency director, no wait, that's Geib? Nindl? Someone who is worthless regardless.

10/27/2005 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home