Thursday, March 30, 2006

Nice spring day rant

Today was the first day that it actually felt like spring. 72 degrees with partly cloudy skies. There was a bit of a breeze, but neither that nor my impending path exam stopped me from enjoying a nice easy run. 3 miles later of weaving in and out of traffic and through ISU's campus I was done. Exactly 24:00. That's interesting because that was the exact pace that I had planned for today. I never run exactly at my set pace. I'm usually under, but many times over as well. Not this time. I ran an exact average of 8 min/mi. I know that it's an average because I was at a shade over 7:00 for the first mile. I had to slow down. The train certainly helped with that. (Of all the towns in which I have lived, this town has the most train tracks and trains. Of course the trains run at 8:00 and 16:00, right during rush hour. What other time would they run? I mean come on.)

Another evening of studying Path, hating school, desiring escape from this canto of hell, and wishing that at least one good looking girl would emerge, but lets be serious there is some deforming quality to the water in this town. It manifests itself most prevalently at the local Wal-Mart. Home of the 400lb, non-abulatory by choice, shopper. I think they have some sort of experiment ongoing on how large an individual can fit into the motorized carts. Cynical? Harsh? Judgemental? Possibly... but that's life, and those are stereotypes. I'm just putting them in print.

-By the way, I have recently considered a career path in Bariatric surgery, so i really do love these people. Why not bariatrics? The patient population is sky-rocketing, gastric bypass is now covered by medicare, and it's a 45 minute procedure that reimburses nicely (also, I'd be keeping Steve in a job as my anesthesiologist).

As one of my preceptors told me: "Procedures are where the money lies. Procedures."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home