Monday, April 03, 2006

Dehydration Long Run

Point A: I am an idiot.

This comment should come as no surprise for those of you that know me personally. Just a question to the effect of, "Yeah, and what this time?"

Point B: Do not attempt to run long when hungover, ill-dressed, or dehydrated in another form.

Ready for some background info? Ok, let's go:
On Saturday as you are well aware, the Men's Final Four games were played. (If you did not know this, leave my blog post haste.) As my roommate and I are social people, we invited friends over for some delectable snacks and refreshments. A small crowd gathered at the Townhouse for the ensuing games. I decided to start the night off with a V and T, followed by food, four beers, and a white russian. I was not drunk, we were gorging ourselves like ravenous beasts who hadn't eaten in days, so the food soaked up some of the alcohol. Nonetheless, alcohol dehydrates you. I won't go into the Biochemical explanation for why, so just trust me on this one.

Fastforward to Sunday morning. I eat and head off to run some errands and stop and have 16 oz of coffee (also a diuretic). It's raining by the way. Raining like I should be building an ark and collecting animals two-of-a-kind. I read the forcast, which calls for rain all day and says it should be a bit on the nippy side. Okay, that's fine I have underarmour, jackets, and gloves out the wazoo. So, I head home and prepare to run. I decide to wear a short sleeve tee and my soft shell running jacket, which mind you is technically a winter jacket. It's 45ish when i leave the house. When i start running it is 55ish and windy. No rain as of yet. So I start off, planning to run 9 miles as my schedule calls for. At the 3 mile mark, I notice that I'm sweating like a Malaysian whore in church. Not only that, but it's getting warmer and my jacket is doing it's job perfectly. It is keeping heat in and protecting me from wind. Bottomline: my core temp is about 197,000 degrees. I'm about to have fusion in my jacket. I'm sweating like crazy, only to have it held in my jacket. Oh and by the way, I haven't had any WATER!!! Refer to point A. So, I decide that running 9 is not a great idea. I decide to head in and turn about 4 to 4.5 total. By the time I get to my car, my legs are killing me, my jacket has taken on the weather pattern of a rain forest, and my glasses are fogged so I can't see.

Let's recap: the weatherman called for rain all day. Has it rained since I've been running? The sole reason I wore the jacket I did? No. Did I take my iPod to distract me while running? No, it was supposed to rain. Did I bring different clothes? Of course not. When I got done running I felt as if someone had made me run in a sauna while punching my legs with brass knuckles. It was less than pleasant. Refer to Point A.

So, I deferred my workout to today. I went out to run and the wind was at a calm 20 mi/h with gusts of 30 mi/h and it was raining. It wasn't spitting rain. It was hocking lougees in my face and my glasses. Although I changed my jacket so as to not overheat. Only went 3 today. There's always tomorrow to do my workout for last weekend. And I only have to run 10 this weekend. Again, Point A.

Running tips of the day:
1. Never listen to the meteorologists.
2. Dress for any occasion.
3. Hydrate well before your run (especially if it is going to be long).
4. Don't follow in my footsteps. (Point A)

questions and comments directed to: Imarunningidiot@runningidiot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home