Wednesday, January 18, 2006

New Year's Resolution

So, as part of the two or three resolutions that I made a couple weeks ago, I included one about my blog. I resolve to include more articles about running and cycling and outdoorsy things to prove that I don't just sit inside and read medical stuff for 14 hours a day. Its more like 10 hours devoted to indoor torture in the form of my Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease book. So, here we go.

I know that many runners and cyclists suffer from this plague upon our training schedules. Mental blockage. You feel like you start a training plan with all the energy needed to run a marathon that day. Unfortunately training programs can be inherently boring unless you spice them up. Here is an article to coax you out of your exercising doldrums: Change Your Mind

Let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the article. I like the idea of coaching yourself by questioning internally, what would you recommend for another runner in your situation? It can be effective to step outside yourself and your mentality. I was once a time-nazi and couldn't even run up a full flight of stairs without my watch. When I realized this was having a negative effect on my racing I took off my watch for a year. I'm damn glad I did.
I would add something to this article's advice: spice up your training on a daily basis. Change the scenery of your long-slow-distance. Add plyometrics or stairs to hard days. Get a running partner when possible. I believe there are many small ways to motivate everyone even on a daily basis; this will keep you out of a rut both mentally and physically.
-DLMWS

1/19/2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger runrMD08 said...

I completely agree with DLMWS. I feel that variability and flexibility is key to an effective training plan. On my recovery days I run with a heart rate monitor and keep my heart rate several beats below my target heart rate. That way I can go without the traditional timing device. I think first and foremost, the ultimate key to any training program and staying healthy is to listen to your body. Your knee is hurting? Your shins are hurting? Cut back your mileage or substitute in a cross-training day. Go cycle instead of running. I am also a huge proponent of swimming on running recovery days. There are many ways to keep your workouts interesting and varied enough to keep you healthy and excited.

1/19/2006 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home