Sunday, February 12, 2006

Dog Treat

So, today while out on my weekly long run. It was supposed to be 5 miles, but I went 6. I know this isn't really a long run, but it's the first week of my training schedule, so its supposed to be easy. I digress. So I'm out on my run minding my own business in the snow, when I see these three dogs run out of their yard and into the road in front of me. They are barking and look like they haven't been fed in a week or so. Mind you, I'm out in BFE while this is happening. On my left is their yard, which has a pseudo-fence. On my right is a barbed wire fence. So, as I slowly back away from the lead dog, which is a giant poodle, a dog I despise, I'm running options through my head. I can a.) find something to swing at these dogs and further piss them off. b.) run at these things and take my chances of getting bit.(mind you I'm wearing about 1/8" of fabric on my legs, which these dogs think of as drumsticks) c.) continue to back up and run an extra couple of miles out of my way. d.) pray their owner hears them barking. So, as any choose your own adventure book, you make your own ending. You can think of scenarios that follow each of these options.

The real ending goes something like this: I continue to back up slowly from these unfriendly doggies with my hands up for what seems to be an eternity. When out of my left field of vision I see their owner, some hilljack wearing this winter's plaid collection. She calls her dogs back as I stand there in my urine puddle. The dogs retreat back to the yard. After about 20 seconds I decide they are far enough away from me that I can continue on without the fear of becoming a late lunch.

Maybe I'll start carrying some sort of dog repellent. Or I'll just accept the fact that I seem to attract dogs and have an uncanny ability to encounter Terre Haute's finest individuals in my daily life here. This place sucks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When running and attacked by dogs, you don't have to run faster than the dogs, just faster than your running partner.
Moral of the parable: get a running partner dumbass.
xoxo,
-DLMWS

2/13/2006 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coach Johnson, Robert H. used to carry dog treats with him wherever he went. When I learned that he had dog treats in all of his coat pockets I asked what kind of dog he owned; it was then he explained that this was his peaceful resolution to his terrible fear of dogs.
Don't repell them, love them. I thought that's where this entry was headed after your title, but you never got there.
you're welcome.
-DLMWS

2/14/2006 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home