Thursday, April 06, 2006

back to the basics

Every once in a while, I recommend running completely "unplugged." No watch, no music, no HRM. Just let everything go and run. Enjoy the beauty of running. One of my friends does this with cycling. He takes his computer off his bike and just goes. If you are having a tough time getting back into running after an extended break or after an injury, or if you just need to renew your relationship with running, this should do the trick. Go run a trail without electronics. Go run around the neighborhood, go... wherever you want/need to go to renew and refresh. Make it existential. I like to meditate when I go "unplugged." Yes, like a Zen thing. I know this sounds a little too tree-hugger, but be one with nature. Some people achieve this by walking alone in the woods. Enjoy it. Cherish it. You never know when it might disappear.

I was also going to post about the necessity of running toys (watches, HRMs, pedometers, GPS, uploadable data from said toys, etc...). I'm still collecting research and testing out some equipment. Soon to come.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Run without my iPod??? This does not compute..this does not compute. I can leave the watch and HRM behind, but the iPod. NEVER!! Music is very calming to me, so I think I enter that zen place by plugging in and singing along in my head.

4/06/2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger runrMD08 said...

I know, it's a strange idea. One that is frought with problems of what to listen to or where's my motivation. I like to listen to Podcasts while I run long. Techno when I run fast. But sometimes, I just have to leave it all behind. On a side note: I noticed a weight difference on my arm when I went w/o my iPod. Strange, but 4 oz makes a difference.

4/06/2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Charity Doc said...

I run to talk radio. Laura Ingraham. Don't ask me why. I just do it. Less boring, I suppose. Ain't much to see around the neighborhood. Just 5 miles a day, 3 days a week. That's all the time I got.

4/06/2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger runrMD08 said...

Talk radio huh? Hey, Laura Ingraham is hot. She has some years on me, but hottie. 15 mile weeks aren't bad at all. For an ER doc, that's pretty good. Hey, what happened with the DNR?

4/06/2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger Charity Doc said...

I'm gonna run in the Flying Pigs Marathon in Cincinnati next month. I think that's what they call it. My brother who also run and lives in Cincy enrolled for me. I do one a year. That's all the time I got. DNR - Do not run? Hehehe.

4/07/2006 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home