Friday, February 17, 2006

Running Tunes

Many people like to run with music. Plug your headphones into your iPod, or whatever you are using, and go. I like to switch up what I listen to while I run. Sometimes I listen to a podcast specifically about running, called Phedippidations. It is produced by a marathoner out of New England, who publishes the cast once a week. I recommend it for listening while running, while driving, while doing anything. You can find it on iTunes or at Steve Runner. In addition, or alternative to that, I listen to techno, hip hop, alternative, whatever I feel motivates me to run. It also depends upon the workout that I'm doing. If I'm going for a long run, I'll choose techno, because the song lasts an average of 45 min to an hour. If I'm doing a speed workout, I'll choose some Beastie Boys or Cake, because it's faster paced. It depends solely upon your taste of music.

As another alternative to listening to music, routinely I will go without music if I'm out on a long run. That way I can collect my thoughts and reflect upon any issues in my training that I'm focusing on currently or any issues in my life, random thoughts, ideas for blog posts, usually not school, but occasionally that creeps in. I would like to hear what you listen to while you work out, run, lift, zone out... whatever.

Here is a brief list of some of the bands/songs/podcasts that I listen to while I run:
(Podcasts) Phedippidations, Percussion Lab Presents, EverymanTriathlon.com, Running Radio
(Bands (in no specific order)) Beastie Boys, Cake, Pearl Jam, Benny Benassi, The Bloodhound Gang, AGAINST ME!, Chemical Brothers, Eminem, Fall Out Boy, Kanye West, Paul Oakenfold, Mos Def, Notorious BIG, Blink 182, The Dandy Warhols, Nirvana, My Chemical Romance, and others...

I find that I have to mix up my music, by either having it on shuffle or changing playlists. Otherwise, I get bored, the last thing you want to do while running. Keep your mind occupied and off the fact that you're punishing yourself for no good reason. Some people use mantras for this. I just think about something else. There is always plenty to think about while you are in BFE running on country roads or trails. If you don't like my music: I don't care; it works for me. But, Runners World has a link to music that some actually good runners listen to: Listen While You Run

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listen to the following when i run (usually about an hour or so)
Mostly alternative genre, in no particular order: Thrice, Staind, Adema, Dredg, Fall out Boy, Yellowcard, Story of the Year, Exies, mix cd combining the whole group above plus some.

Find alternative to make the time go fastest. Kudos to Thrice's new CD. An average of a 4:30min song which you forget they blend so well.

i run 5-6 days a week so having good tunes is essentially to keep me not clock watching. LOL

I will definitely check out some of your links!
jenn

3/05/2006 6:29 AM  
Blogger runrMD08 said...

Thanks for your comments jenn. I look forward to more responses from you!

3/08/2006 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home