Sunday, March 04, 2007

My decision not to go into Pediatrics

So there I was in the office of my preceptor with a 15 month old girl screaming in my face as if I had just stolen one of her stuffed animals. I had just walked into the room and had a subsequent epiphany: I don't want to do Pediatrics. Not that I ever did, but that was one of the things that solidified it for me. Another was when I had a 4 month old pee all over my hands. I wasn't even the one to take off the diaper. I don't like poop, so I'm not going to be a general surgeon. I don't like pee, so I'm not going to be a urologist. I don't like the two of them mixed together, so I'm not going to be a pediatrician.

I was mildly intrigued when I spent a month in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Wishard. (for those of you that don't know, Wishard is a county hospital, hence a different population than a University hospital) I dealt with kids that were sick, but not so sick that they went to the children's hospital, which was next door. My kiddos (as they are referred to in Peds) averaged from 23 weeks to 33 weeks, but all had some serious problems. Well, problems in addition to having shitty mothers. Mothers that continued to smoke crack while pregnant. Mothers that didn't want to claim their children. Mothers that drank while they were pregnant. Mothers that did heroin while pregnant. All in all... real winners. I liked the kids though. The hours were good, and you do a lot of procedures for neos. But it was not meant to be. It was not surgical. It was not for me.

Fast forward a month from my NICU month. I'm on outpatient peds in the office of a guy who is preaching to me about Jesus and God's love while in the room of a 15 year old kid. It was at that moment that I heard something I never thought I would hear at work. "Do you want to change your life? Then read the Bible every night." I think the sound my jaw made when it hit the floor kinda sounded like someone dropping 40 pounds of shock and disbelief on the floor. For a moment I thought I was in Iraq during the invasion and by god, I was "Shocked and Awed."

So anyhoo, needless to say, I am not a Bible beater, nor am I going into Peds. I am however, considering Pediatric Orthopaedics, among others. I also like Ortho Onc and Hand. Yes, I'm set on Orthopaedics. I don't care what the hours are. I like it. When you go to work and finish a shift still feeling intrigued, you have found what you should do with your life. Passionate. Dedicated to learning, delving, discovering what is out there. What more? What else? That is how you should approach your job and your work. Well, as long as you don't work in a cube...

Sorry guys, that is just not for me. Also, I think I have a bit of a complex. I know what it is. It's prevalence in the population is the highest for all the personality disorders. I have a healthy dose of narcissism, and I'm not really ashamed to say it. I guess technically that means I don't have the personality disorder, but maybe I'm just insightful... Or am I just stating the obvious? Irrelevant and Erroneous on both accounts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home