Monday, December 11, 2006

Forced Relationships

Have you ever been in a situation where a friend fixes you up with someone they know? Of course you have. Everyone has been there. I didn't specifically ask, but nonetheless, I acquiesced to hanging out. Of course, we were drinking, so things were skewed a bit. I don't really like this person, but I kind of feel obligated to at least call her once. Besides, she has a t-shirt of mine.

Ugh. It's kind of depressing when you have to fake a relationship for the benefit of maintaining friendship with people. You feel semi-obligated to like their friends for at least a measured about of time. After a certain period of time, you just have to call a spade a spade. Now, I'm not saying that you have to be a dick about it, but politely distance yourself and tell the parties involved. What makes it worse is when the person likes you. Not just a passing like, but more like an infatuation. There is no way this person can like you for real. Well, I hope she doesn't. That would suck, for her I mean.

I know I'm a semi-shallow person, but I'm just not all that attracted to her. I don't want to force myself into liking someone for the benefit of another person. Yes, I'm blowing this out of proportion, but I need some catharsis right now. I even went on an "unplugged" run. I turned 5 miles in about 36 minutes, just effing around.

Oh, another depressing thing: another one of my idiot friends is getting engaged to be divorced. Sorry, I'm just cynical about it. Knowing that 3 of my friends are married, 3 are engaged or going to be, and one has a child. Statistically, 3 of them will eventually get divorced. That is depressing and the reason that I will have a pre-nuptual agreement.

Moving on... I'm in the NICU at a county hospital. What does that mean for my patient population? Minority and poor. Also, a good majority of babies that come through my NICU have positive drug screens. As if kids don't have enough trouble, to knock them down another peg with drugs. I swear parenting should be a licensed procedure.

Enough rambling for me. I'm tired and have a presentation tomorrow on respiratory distress leading to bronchopulmonary dysplasia with extended mechanical ventilation in neonates.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RAGE is your nickname today.
you're correct: when you're dealing with drugged babies, it should put your mundance social problems in perspective. wait, wasn't that your point. oh well, now you know.

keep on trucking.
miss you bro.
-DLMWS

12/12/2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger MegWardBopp said...

a) get your shirt and peace out.
b) you have a habit of leaving a trail of broken hearts, they're called your harem- and you love it. don't act like you don't.
c) as you will probably marry some 19 year old trophy wife when you are 55, I would agree you need a pre-nup.
d) new favorite song or his: Accidental Babies. have you heard of Regina Spektor? She's not bad.

12/14/2006 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home