Tuesday, July 18, 2006

You're going to cut what?

My last day of Anesthesia has come and gone. I am stuck at home studying for a final essentially over pharmacology. I am not worried. Obviously... I'm blogging when I should study. On my last day of Anesthesia, my resident and I were assigned to the GU OR (Genitourinary Operating Room). As I perused the list of cases for the day, I knew it would be an interesting day. Circumcisions, Orchioplexy, and a couple other minor procedures. I raised an eyebrow at these cases, not because of the type of cases, but rather the ages of the patients. One kid was seven and in for a circ and an orchio. Yes, seven years old. The child was 84 months old and just now having a circumcision. (read between the lines => OUCH!)

Anyhoo, my day was made better when I saw a colleague of mine get pimped by his resident. I have the unfortunate pleasure of knowing this sack of shit from my first two years. He is/was on a Urology rotation. Now, the image of this kid doing any kind of urology is just funny. First, he is as blind as a bat. He would literally have to have the penis within 6 inches of his face. Humorous. Very Humorous. So, I witnessed this kid get pimped on the indications for performing an orchiopexy. He was giving the deer in the headlights stare at the questioning. Funny for me, since he thinks he knows more than attendings. Basically, you perform an orchiopexy for ease of diagnosis of testicular cancer and other testicular anomalies later on in life and probably more importantly, for cosmetic reasons. As my staff Anesthesiologist said, "Everyone wants two." (I almost pissed my pants when SHE said it.)

So, I got to witness firsthand the awful mess that a circ entails as well as an orchio. Why you would subject any child to this, let alone a SEVEN year old, I am not sure.

On a lighter note, plans for my departure from Indianapolis permanently have been started. I am thinking an orthopedic or plastic residency somewhere in the Western US. Hell, I'll even do General Surg if I have to. Anything to get out of IN and somewhere with more scenery and better cycling and running. I hear Oregon is nice... Seattle has a good music scene... Wyoming has some great skiing... Utah has some great skiing, climbing, cycling and running, and Mormons...

This is an aside, and then I have to study, but can we talk about how clean Salt Lake City really is? Holy Cleanliness Batman. That is one of the cleanest cities I have seen, ever. Those Mormons, they know how to control their followers huh? Also, I've never met an asshole Mormon. They are always so nice (minus the extremists, who kill at the drop of a hat.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i have an idea who you're talking about :) priceless. hope your test went well...
-carly

7/19/2006 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home