Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Contemplative Running

People are amazed when I tell them that I ran 10 miles or 15 miles or whatever. They aren't impressed by the physical act of it. They are awed at the time committment. Several questions have come up. They ask, "What do you think about for that long?" "Isn't that boring?" "I would get bored." "Do you listen to music?"

It all depends. I listen to music sometimes (techno mostly or angry punk (that's for DLMWS)). Other times I don't listen to music. Sometimes I think about what's going on at work or in my life, but it doesn't occupy the majority of my run. Also, I don't think that I have ever resolved any conflict on a run. I have pondered situations; I have come up with scenarios; I have thought about what to say, but never have I come to a resolution.

Many times, I listen to music and just drift off. My thoughts run. My feet fly, and I just cruise. As with many mediational methods, I let my thoughts roam where they please. My feet follow the path while my mind drifts to unknown places. I sink into a primal, less developed state of being. Avoiding objects becomes a defense mechanism. Sometimes I think about my feet hitting the ground. That consumes my entire thought process. Other times I think about my breathing, visualizing it as it enters and exits my mouth.

When all is said and done, I remember very little. My thoughts dissipate as soon as they materialize. I am left with a sense of accomplishment from my run and mentally refreshed. Maybe that is why I feel compelled to run. It is physically and mentally soothing for me regardless of the time of running.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i do believe you've hit the nail on the proverbial head. the rhythms of running are very similar to rhythmic chants used to enhance or ease meditation.
however, one of the main reasons i will not be training for a full marathon in the near future: it takes too much time!
-DLMWS

11/08/2006 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home