Sunday, March 04, 2007

My decision not to go into Psychiatry

I come into work, knowing it is my last day of Psych, and I'm happy. Well, I have a shit-eating smirk on my face. My disdain has started to permeate my relationship with my patients. Somehow, I end up with the assholes on the service. All of them have Borderline Personality Disorder and are just plain angry. Well, all except for my sweet old man with Major Depressive Disorder with mood congruent psychosis. He is a nice guy that we are giving ECT. If you don't know what ECT is, I'm not going to tell you, because I don't want to get into a debate with someone who has no idea what they are talking about. ECT is the gold standard for treating sweet old men with depression who are so depressed they don't eat. Let's leave it at that.

So... I'm sitting in the conference room with the other students and the residents and we are just bullshitting our usual stuff in the morning. One of the residents brought in a cake for one of the students. (Hmm... now, do I decide to tell you what the cake was for? Why did it have the words "ninety-two" in icing on it?) The cake was for guessing the closest IQ for one of our patients. (It's a long story for another post. Yes, it is cynical and slightly mean, so it fits me.) I digress. All of a sudden we hear a lot of yelling in the hallway. It is the voice of one of my patients, and he is yelling about getting out of the hospital (it's a locked ward, so the patients can't get out). Apparently there is a warrant for his arrest and the police are coming to get him. Long story short, he becomes more physically confronting towards the nursing staff and the VA police are called. Now, a police matter is one thing. Usually it is town, county, or heaven forbid, state. In this case, they are federal cops, and hence underpaid, overworked, and mean. My patient then tries to barricade himself in his room, which isn't smart. He then actively resists arrest from the VA police and is dragged out in handcuffs. Now, most of this we are hearing through the wall and door of our conference room, because there is no way in hell that we are leaving that room. Also, the patient's room was 6 feet away. So, we got an ear-full.

It was not at that moment that I decided not to do Psych. It was much earlier than that. So, that is a glimpse into the psychiatric patients that are being cared for by the US government since they are "service affiliated." Peachy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While you say God help you for reading this blog. I say God Help your patients when you become a doctor. The attitude you show in the two pieces I read...my decision not to go into psychiatry , and my decision not to go into pediatrics, both show an arrogance and condescending attitude which makes it clear to me that you have certainly chosen the wrong profession.

3/06/2007 10:40 AM  
Blogger MegWardBopp said...

I am loving that you posted that comment...hahah. I heart your arrogance and condescending attitude :)

3/21/2007 5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home